“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak” – Hans Hofmann
Accumulation. We’re all guilty of it in one way or another. I suppose it’s part of human nature to want, gather and keep stuff. Usually we have more than we really need or know what to do with. By weeding out the unnecessary items – including bad habits, unhealthy relationships or unsupportive situations – we can highlight, appreciate and savour the important things in life.
Fear is often a major motivation behind our need to get and have stuff. The fear of loss overrides much of our practical reasoning and logical thinking when it comes to our overflowing cabinets, closets, and mental concerns. We often accumulate in order to fill an emotional or psychological void in our lives. Whatever the reason – it’s time to let go, pair down, cut back and simplify!
But clutter isn’t just physical. When we try to juggle too many goals or plans at one time we overload mentally, psychically, and emotionally. Paring our goals down to essentials helps us better focus our energies and accomplish more, and as we see ourselves making visible progress toward our objectives we feel better about ourselves. So rather than trying to accomplish everything in your life at one time, focus on one thing at a time to get into a cycle of empowerment and increasing self esteem!
This is the month to look at what we surround ourselves with, both physically and mentally. We can now reassess what we allow to fill our lives, releasing whatever is taking up too much time and space. Making even small changes in our attitudes, habits and surroundings can have a big impact on our lives. What’s left after simplifying is magnified peace, greater space, improved prosperity and a bounty of blessings!
August’s Astrological energies encourage us to Simplify our lives in order to Magnify our personal visions and goals for a healthier, happier future. With strong Virgo energies highlighted in the weeks ahead, we are prompted to be mindful of the details, nuances, the important intricacies of our lives – weeding out what’s not working to encourage greater health, harmony, balance and beauty in all that surrounds us.
What do the Astrological energies have in store for you this month? Here’s your #AstroMotivation for August:
* 1 August (July 31 in U.S.A.): Venus Retrogrades back into Leo – You Are Not Your Stuff! – As the planet representing our values and assets continues its backward motion from Virgo into Leo, we’re encouraged to reconsider the possessions in our lives with an eye to weeding out, reviewing and revisiting the belongings we identify with. This is a great opportunity to consider which items hold important meaning for us and which don’t. It’s also a time to reflect on our personal values and see what really has meaning for us. The more we release from our lives now – bad habits, negative people or unsupportive situations included – the more room there is for our inner beauty, personal happiness and creative self expression to shine!
* 2 August (1st in U.S.A.): Saturn in Scorpio goes Direct – Dig More Deeply! With the planet representing responsibility and maturity moving forward in the sign characterizing deeper awareness, we’re prompted now to consider the important features in our lives, the foundations that we built and what brings us a sense of security. This is an advantageous time for considering the meaning of what we surround ourselves with – the possessions that we tie ourselves to, the ways we spend our time, and why. Relinquishing the superfluous, the unnecessary, the needless in our lives will not only result in a new level of self empowerment but also personal advancement.
* 8 August (7th in U.S.A.): Mercury goes into Virgo – It’s all in the details! We are now given a keener eye for seeing all the fine points, specifics, nuances and intricacies of our lives! This is an ideal time to organize, clean up and plan out our personal goals and improve ways of self expression. As the communication planet moves into the practical and methodical vibe of Virgo, we commence a new cycle of practical productivity with keener clarity of what’s important in our world. This is a great time to clear the clutter from our lives, including any negative thoughts, bad habits or unsupportive situations that prevent us from living our dreams to the fullest! Ask yourself now: What needs organizing in your life?
* 9 August (8th in U.S.A.): Mars goes into Leo – Your Time To Roar! As the planet of action and energy moves into the sign representing confidence and self love, we’re given the opportunity to express our personal wants and needs! Our self orientation is the focus now, helping us to show more outgoing expression, greater vitality and dramatic self assurance! For the weeks ahead we’re encouraged to step out of our safety nets in order to advance our dreams, embark on new creative endeavours and implement empowering projects. We have more perseverance and positivity to rush forward toward the things that are important to us, attracting greater joy to our lives. It’s a wonderful time to be aware of what contributes positivity to your world and what doesn’t. Through growing your self esteem and creative visions, the clutter in your life can be easily released!
* 11 August: Jupiter goes into Virgo – Detailing the Big Picture! This new cycle of expansion is based on how much we pay attention to the details of our lives and our future goals. As the planet representing opportunity and growth moves into the sign highlighting practicalities, orderliness, analysis and organization, we can find greater prosperity and advancement by practicing these same things. Paying attention to the fine points, putting plans in place, being mindful of the details and having clear direction will enable us to bring our visions to reality. This goes hand-in-hand with better care and consideration of our body, mind and spirit balance.
* 15 August (14th in U.S.A.): New Moon in Leo – Shine Your Light! This beautiful New Moon, in the outgoing and energetic sign of Leo, launches us into a cycle of of greater emotional strength, intuitive empowerment, creative vision and dynamic self expression! We are now uplifted, inspired and motivated to embark on new ways of sharing our joys with others and celebrating the beauty around us. Use this time to begin activities that increase your self confidence, self awareness and greater self appreciation of your unique way of Shining!
* 23 August (22nd in U.S.A.) Sun goes into Virgo – Mind, Body, Spirit Focus! This gives us the opportunity to establish routines for building greater strength and holistic balance in the mental, physical and intuitive sides of life. As the Sun shifts into the earthy Virgo energy we are encouraged to find new ways to focus on and honour greater self care and self appreciation. This new cycle helps stop any negative chatter, self-disapproval or pessimistic thoughts – they detract from our worthiness and are self-defeating! Schedule time for your needs and find positive, supportive friends who can remind you how special YOU ARE! What do you admire most about YOU? Honour those special qualities!
* 28 August (27th in U.S.A.) Mercury goes into Libra – Thoughtful Balance! As the planet of thought, expression and communication moves into the sign representing equilibrium, balance and harmony we are encouraged to do the same! This is the time to share your creative views while working toward connecting with others in more diplomatic, gracious and thoughtful ways. With all our interactions and expressions there is a need for greater equality, organization and symmetry. Use this time to consider more creative ways of networking while opening up to greater self expression. Consider what in your life is worthy of your time and effort and what does not contribute to your sense of personal harmony.
* 30 August (29th in U.S.A.) Full Moon in Pisces – Honour Your Spiritual Gifts! We are encouraged now to embrace our intuitive energy, explore our spiritual visions and honour our gentle, feeling nature. It’s an excellent opportunity to work more with our dreams, imaginations, visualizations and artistic expression. We are more in sympathy with others now, able to express more compassion and be more receptive and sensitive to all that surrounds us. Honour this occasion by bringing into alignment your spiritual, emotional and intuitive faculties. Use this magical Full Moon culmination to tap into a more Universal wisdom, spiritual awareness and philosophical knowledge (as befitting the Pisces energy). This is the time to fully embrace our soul-centered gifts, exploring our higher minded and creative natures. We are more able now to appreciate the true heart/spirit connection shared with loved ones. This Full Moon asks us to speak from the soul and be mindful of shared similarities, not differences. Being in tune with others brings greater self awareness.
* The Outer Planets in their current positions: Jupiter into Virgo (starting 11 August), Saturn Retrograde in Scorpio, Uranus in Aries, Neptune Retrograde in Pisces, Pluto Retrograde in Capricorn and Chiron Retrograde in Pisces. The outer planets stay in a sign for a longer time, so their effect on us is more gradual:
* Jupiter in Virgo: Look back at what you experienced 12 years ago, when Jupiter was last in this sign, and notice similar themes arising for you. The difference being you now have more experience, wisdom and knowledge to help make the most of this period of expansion and happiness! A favourable time to develop your leadership abilities while advancing creative and financial activities. From now until August we have greater opportunity to excel in many life areas!
* Saturn in Sagittarius/Scorpio: This is an ideal cycle for realigning, reviewing and reconnecting with our true purpose, readdressing the steps that need to be put into place to achieve our goals. Overall, for the next three years we’ll have greater opportunity to move forward with our passions, plans and pursuits. We can now pay closer attention to what we want to experience, advance in and learn about ourselves and life for greater personal fulfillment.
* Uranus in Aries: (Retrograde until 26 December 2015): We are encouraged to reflect on what we need for greater freedom in our lives. Honouring unique forms of self expression, liberation from oppression, new technology and inventive pioneering action is now highlighted. Strength, assertive action, inspirational vision, intuitive understanding and new innovation helps us to open up to new dimensions. Uranus will be in Aries until 7 March 2019.
* Neptune in Pisces: (Retrograde until 19 November 2015): Assists us in honouring greater spiritual awareness, creative inspiration and intuitive insight in our lives. We-are-all-one compassion is emphasized now along with humanitarian expression. Readdressing ways to embracing greater sympathy and empathy along with universal understanding is highlighted. Neptune will be in Pisces until 31 March 2025.
* Pluto in Capricorn: (Retrograde until 25 September): This pairing will continue until 24 March 2023. The overall theme of this time is uncovering the misuse of power and authority to enable change for the better. It represents a major cycle of energy that brings transformation to our society, government, world order and Mother Earth. It also pushes to bring about much change to our personal lives and belief structures, especially as Pluto aspects the planets in our natal chart.
* Chiron in Pisces: The ability to open our hearts to others while working to heal ourselves is highlighted. Greater spiritual awareness, empathy and compassion can be gained during this time but it’s important not to loose ourselves in the effort to assist others. Keeping personal boundaries in place is key for self care too. Chiron will be in Pisces until April 2018.
Fashion Illustration, courtesy of Alexander Roschin.
To see more of Alexander’s work, head to his websites: